Curriculum Vitae of Michael Maccoby
President, The Maccoby Group., Washington, D.C.
Director, Project on Technology, Work and Character.
Instructor, College of the University of Chicago (Social Sciences 2), 1955-56; Teaching Fellow,
Harvard Department of Social Relations, 1957-60; Secretary to Committee on Educational Policy,
Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences, 1956-60; Visiting Professor, School of Political and Social
Sciences, National University of Mexico, 1960; Professor, Graduate course in Clinical Psychology,
Mexican Institute of Psychoanalysis, 1964-66; Professor Cornell Summer School, 1966; Visiting
Professor in Psychology, University of California at Santa Cruz, 1967-68; Faculty Member, Mexican
Institute of Psychoanalysis, 1970-75; Fellow, Institute for Policy Studies, Washington, D.C., 1969-75;
Faculty Member, Washington School of Psychiatry, 1975-87; Director, Program on Technology, Public
Policy and Human Development, J.F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard, 1978-1990; Adjunct
Research Fellow, Center for Science and International Affairs, Kennedy School, Harvard, 1990-93,
Visiting Professor, Sciences Po, 1998, 2009, 2010, 2011, Teacher and Assoicate Fellow, Templeton College and Saïd Business School, Oxford 2004-.
Consultancies (partial listing)
AT&T, 1977-2000; Communications Workers of America, 1980-88, 1993-94, 2002; A.B. Volvo, 1975-90;
U.S. Department of Commerce, 1977-81; U.S. Department of State 1978-84; World Bank, 1978-80, 1988-89,
1995-99; Swedish Council on Management and Work Life Issues, 1982-87; Bricklayers and Allied
Craftsman and International Masonry Institute, 1984-2000; Library of Congress, 1988; Facilitator,
National Leadership Commission on Health Care, 1986-88; National Coalition on Health Care, 1989-;
American Federation of Teachers, 1990-92 & 2004; The MITRE Corporation, 1990-96; Battelle Pacific
Northwest Laboratory, 1992-93; Cultor, 1988-1999; ABB, 1988-1999; Swedbank, 1987-2000; Georgetown
University Medical Center, 1995-96; Scripps Healthcare, 1998-2000; Penn State Medical Center,
Geisinger Healthcare, 1998-1999; George Washington University, 1999-2005; DAI 2000-2008;
US Army Corps of Engineers, 2007; BT, 2007-2008.
- The Leaders We Need: And What Makes Us Follow
- Harvard Business School Press, November 2007.
- Narcissistic Leaders: Who Succeeds and Who Fails.
- Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 2007. (paperback)
- Agents of Change: Crossing the Post-Industrial Design
- with Charles Heckscher, Rafael Ramirez, and Pierre-Eric Tixier.
- Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003.
- The Productive Narcissist: The Promise and Peril of Visionary
- New York: Broadway Books, 2003.
- Social Character in a Mexican Village
- with Erich Fromm
- Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall, 1970.
Reprinted with new introduction, Transaction Press, 1996.
- A Prophetic Analyst: Erich Fromms Contributions to
- Mauricio Cortina and Michael Maccoby, editors.
- Northvale, NJ: Jason Aronson, 1996.
- Why Work?: Motivating the New Workforce
- Second Edition, Miles River Press: Alexandria, VA, 1995.
- Sweden At the Edge: Lessons For American and Swedish Managers
- Editor., Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press,
- Leadership for Sweden
- with Anders Edstrom, Stromberg Lennart, and Jan Erik Rendahl.
- Lund, Sweden: Liber, 1985.
- The Leader: A New Face for American Management
- New York: Simon and Schuster, 1981.
- The Gamesman: The New Corporate Leaders
- New York: Simon and Schuster, 1976.
- Social Character and Social Change in Mexico and the United States
- Cuernavaca: CIDOC, 1970.
Private practice of Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis, 1962-1988.
Phi Beta Kappa, American Psychological Association (Fellow), American
(Fellow), Society for Applied Anthropology (Fellow), National Academy of Public
(Fellow), Global Business Network, Cosmos Club.
International Group Plans, Inc., 1978-80; SMG North America, 1989-96;
Our Little Brothers and Sisters, Inc., 1977-; Tällberg Foundation, 1990-2005;
Washington School of Psychiatry, 1997-2011. Albert Shanker Institute, 2006-
Mt. Vernon, New York public schools; Harvard, B.A. (m.c.l.) 1954; Ph.D.,
Department of Social Relations (Social Psychology and Personality) 1960; New College, Oxford,
1954-55; University of Chicago, 1955-56 (Human Development); Mexican Institute of Psychoanalysis
(Degree in Psychoanalysis), 1964.
Woodrow Wilson Fellowship, 1954-55, New College, Oxford; National
Institute of Mental Health Research and Training Fellowship, 1960-63,
The Institute of Psychoanalysis, The Medical
School, National Autonomous University of Mexico; Fellow, Center for Advanced
Study in the Behavioral Sciences, 1968-69,
Saïd School, Oxford University, Associate Fellow, 2011.
Commander of the Royal Order of the Polar Star (Sweden)
b. 1933, Mt Vernon, N.Y.; married 1959 to Sandylee Weille; children: Anne Maccoby
Berglof, Izette Folger, Nora Maccoby Hathaway, Max Maccoby. Grandchildren: Alexandra Berglof, Nick Folger, Camilla Folger, Katerina Berglof, William Hathaway, Ida B. Maccoby.
Last updated - October 2011
| TMG Home
| Contact Info
This web site is being maintained by Maria
This page was last updated
Tuesday, 13-Dec-2011 17:54:29 EST.